Sunday, August 30, 2009

sourcing around

I passed by this music school today in causeway point and went in to check if they have flute lessons. They do, but the days they are giving lessons are the ones that I need to work late. This is getting frustrating, because somehow all the courses I want to take up happens to be on the days I can't make it.

Anyway I was asking the sales person, will it be more difficult for me to play the flute if I have thick lips. The reason I asked was because I used to be in a military band in secondary school and I was an alto saxophonist. When we first joined the band, the teacher had us lined up one by one and studied our lips before assigning us to our instruments.

So from my observations, all the fellow saxophonists had thick lips like mine, whereas flutists generally have pretty thin lips. So from that time onwards, I always had this view that shape of your lips affects the type of instruments that you can play. And I tried playing a flute before when I was in the band(borrowed for fun from the flutists) and no sound came out, haha.

Hmm, but the sales person told me no, it doesn't influence at all. It must have seemed a funny question, but I have my basis for asking.

But now I did a search online and it seems that having thinner lips will aid your progress in learning to play the flute as they will find it easier to control the high notes. So that's why...

Anyway a beginner's flute will cost $500. So it's time to save up, unless I can get a cheap deal from auctions or places like cash converters. I love music.

No comments: