Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thailand trip (19th-23th june)

Went with my mum, two aunts, two cousins and one of their SO (significant other).
Some interesting, not so interesting, or farked up experiences:

1. Thai massage - shiok meh? I screamed, groaned, laughed hysterically almost all the way throughout the one hour massage. Whereas the rest of them are in bliss, and one of my cousins even fell asleep during the massage. Turns out during the one hour torture, people at the entrance all could hear me. Cool.

2. Taxis - Some of them don't charge by meter. Or they bring you to a seafood restaurant which is obviously a collaboration between them and the restaurant for more business.

Us: Chinatown pls.
Driver: Chinatown raining, got flood. U going dinner?
Us: Ya.
Driver: How abt seafood?
Us: No, dun wan.
Driver: Seafood nice.

5 secs later, we are at the seafood restarant. So convenient huh. Took us a few min to persuade them to drive us out.

And one of the taxis we were in, the driver used one hand for the steering wheel and the other to hold his handphone to his ear while he was jabbering leisurely in thai. That we can still accept, although our gaze was riveted worriedly on his steering wheel. Then he took his hand off the steering wheel too, apparently to search for something on his seat. That's when all of us had a silent heart attack.

3. Tuk-Tuks - Tempted by the ten baht offer made by them to drive us to our destination. We got into 3 Tuk Tuks and everything was fine for a few min until they drove to an alleyway n stopped, persuading us to go to another place to check out jewellry first. We refused n they continued badgaring us. When we din't give in, they abandoned us at the alleyway, ask us to get out. So we had to walk to the main road to get taxis. No such thing as an almost free lunch.

On the other hand, we sucessfully reached our destination the next time when we offered 100 baht instead. An exhilarating experience. They are hell riders. They drive faster than the taxis and weave dangerously in and out of traffic, no shit.

4. Had a screamfest at the hotel living room watching "snakes on a plane" on HBO. Since we were living in the presidential suite, I could shriek in peace cos the rooms on the left n rite of the wall belong to us. Had fun clutching a pillow and shivering in excitement. It's kinda a stupid show, but nonetheless entertaining still. And its tame enough for me that I won't have nightmares.

5. Not sure if its just me, but I am rather fascinated by clouds. They are awfully pretty. On my way to bangkok, went through some really fantastic views of them. By turns, they can look like mountains of white cotton candy densely packed together. Or the south pole, with the sky as the sea. Or swirling white mists as far as ur eye can see. They look like the place where angels live and thread upon. Wish I could have seen them. Too bad I din have a camera at that time. Took some pics of the clouds when I was on the return flight, but they are way less amazing ones.

6. Had a interesting albeit low morale chat with my aunt n cousins. The general consensual was that love will never last in a marriage. It fades away with the passing of time no matter how once, both of u loved each other deeply. Advised me to go for financial security. Gives me the chills.

7. Lost my new red shoes. Realised at the last day of packing that it was not anywhere in hotel room. Basket. Maybe someone threw it away since I put it in a plastic bag..sad. But luckily I have another exact same pair, same colour too. I have this weird habit of buying designs I like in diff colours, or same colour even. So yep, whoever throws away my shoes, I will try to forgive u.

8. Hate touters. I mayb all laid back but there are some things I cannot stand, and one of these is exploitation. This is one of the few topics that u will be surprised to see me agitated abt. Like the old grandma at the orchard underground tunnel that sells one pack of tissue for $2. Most people I know will just give because she is old, but y? Then she might just don't sell tissues.

Selling tissues is an honest living. And I admire visually/physically challenged people who try their best to make an honest living. (etc $1 for 3packs of tissue) But not those who capitalize on the situation. I'll give u $2, but I really dun need the pack of tissue.

Some pics as below:

on the way to bangkok in the wee morning...





Clouds frm the plane......




After breakfast..

Around the hotel....




The suite.......









No comments: